Wahoo Element Bolt

Moderators: Top Commander, Team Captains

Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby irishpitbull » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 am

So Garmin huh... How many times has yours locked up this week? Let me tell you about a device that is going to put Garmin on notice and reduce their market share.


It's called the Element Bolt and it's made by Wahoo. Now I'm not a fan of their trainers. I burnt like 3 of those things out in a winter so I'm far from brand loyal. But my garmin's have been really pissing me off the last few months. To the point I almost threw my 520 in to a lake after it locked up going for a legit KOM ( an actual climb not some bullshit flat land sprint) I drove 3 hrs to get only to have some horseshit device I paid threw the noise ruin the whole thing.

So my quest to replace this steaming pile of donkey diarrhea as brought to this magical device. I mean its like finding an unicorn that craps gold nuggets and gives you a back rub. It took me about 3 minutes to setup my power meter, heart monitor, and data page on the device. You can have you power, HR and climb profile on the same page... Magical Unicorn that craps gold nuggets I tell you.

Garmin is dead to me. Don't waste you money on that.
"Whatever it takes."
User avatar
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: In the sticks with the critters.
Has thanked: 226 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Snappy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 pm

This will probably be the death of Garmin and the bolt. I'll let you know how it is when I get mine. Should be soon.

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Safety Before Strava!
GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS!
User avatar
Snappy
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 am
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Stevey D » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:34 pm

I’m very curious to hear a bit more long term review from you on this. I’m not super happy with my 820. Had every setting turned down to save power and it still almost died on me at Lumberjack. 3% battery left when I rolled across the line. With all the settings on normal, it almost died at Mohican 100k. Yep, barely 6 hours battery life. LAME!
User avatar
Stevey D
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:43 am
Location: Berkley, MI
Has thanked: 409 times
Been thanked: 393 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby irishpitbull » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Snappy wrote:This will probably be the death of Garmin and the bolt. I'll let you know how it is when I get mine. Should be soon.

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


August was launch that never happened, September was their launch that didn't happen. Maybe next year?
"Whatever it takes."
User avatar
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: In the sticks with the critters.
Has thanked: 226 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Snappy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 pm

irishpitbull wrote:
Snappy wrote:This will probably be the death of Garmin and the bolt. I'll let you know how it is when I get mine. Should be soon.

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


August was launch that never happened, September was their launch that didn't happen. Maybe next year?
Could be delayed again but they are projecting shipments at the end of this Oct. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Safety Before Strava!
GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS!
User avatar
Snappy
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 am
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby irishpitbull » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Snappy wrote:
irishpitbull wrote:
Snappy wrote:This will probably be the death of Garmin and the bolt. I'll let you know how it is when I get mine. Should be soon.

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


August was launch that never happened, September was their launch that didn't happen. Maybe next year?
Could be delayed again but they are projecting shipments at the end of this Oct. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk



If you get it tell me what you think. It was on my list but I couldn't deal with my garmin anymore.
"Whatever it takes."
User avatar
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: In the sticks with the critters.
Has thanked: 226 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby NGiordano » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Snappy wrote:
irishpitbull wrote:
Snappy wrote:This will probably be the death of Garmin and the bolt. I'll let you know how it is when I get mine. Should be soon.

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


August was launch that never happened, September was their launch that didn't happen. Maybe next year?
Could be delayed again but they are projecting shipments at the end of this Oct. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


Did your Karoo ever ship? I ordered one, but it's not coming until Spring 2018.
NGiordano
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:38 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Snappy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:28 pm

NGiordano wrote:
Did your Karoo ever ship? I ordered one, but it's not coming until Spring 2018.


No, not yet. Apparently they were having issues with their plastics vendor. That is supposed to have been resolved and they are in production now. I am still hoping to receive it by the end of the year.

Snappy
Safety Before Strava!
Safety Before Strava!
GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS!
User avatar
Snappy
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 am
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby NGiordano » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Snappy wrote:
NGiordano wrote:
Did your Karoo ever ship? I ordered one, but it's not coming until Spring 2018.


No, not yet. Apparently they were having issues with their plastics vendor. That is supposed to have been resolved and they are in production now. I am still hoping to receive it by the end of the year.

Snappy
Safety Before Strava!
Interested in your thoughts once it comes. I'm less and less confident in their ability to deliver, and more importantly continue to offer support and software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
NGiordano
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:38 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Snappy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm

NGiordano wrote:Interested in your thoughts once it comes. I'm less and less confident in their ability to deliver, and more importantly continue to offer support and software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Yeah, I'll post up once I had a chance to play with it. I guess the good thing is it's android based, there's the potential for others to pick-up if they fail. Hopefully they will have Google App store integration.
Safety Before Strava!
GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS!
User avatar
Snappy
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 am
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Bellringer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Snappy wrote:
NGiordano wrote:Interested in your thoughts once it comes. I'm less and less confident in their ability to deliver, and more importantly continue to offer support and software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Yeah, I'll post up once I had a chance to play with it. I guess the good thing is it's android based, there's the potential for others to pick-up if they fail. Hopefully they will have Google App store integration.

I placed my order for a Karoo on Aug. 15 so according to Hammerhead I should receive it by Feb at this point. Hoping for a nice Christmas present to myself.
Rule# 6: Free your mind and your legs will follow.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 pm
Location: St. Clair Shores
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 708 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Snappy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 am

Bellringer wrote:
Snappy wrote:
NGiordano wrote:Interested in your thoughts once it comes. I'm less and less confident in their ability to deliver, and more importantly continue to offer support and software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Yeah, I'll post up once I had a chance to play with it. I guess the good thing is it's android based, there's the potential for others to pick-up if they fail. Hopefully they will have Google App store integration.

I placed my order for a Karoo on Aug. 15 so according to Hammerhead I should receive it by Feb at this point. Hoping for a nice Christmas present to myself.
A few days ago they posted that they have started shipping. Might have mine this month.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Safety Before Strava!
GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS!
User avatar
Snappy
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 am
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Bellringer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Snappy wrote:
TinkleBelly (aka, BellRinger) wrote:
Snappy wrote:
NGiordano wrote:Interested in your thoughts once it comes. I'm less and less confident in their ability to deliver, and more importantly continue to offer support and software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Yeah, I'll post up once I had a chance to play with it. I guess the good thing is it's android based, there's the potential for others to pick-up if they fail. Hopefully they will have Google App store integration.

I placed my order for a Karoo on Aug. 15 so according to Hammerhead I should receive it by Feb at this point. Hoping for a nice Christmas present to myself.
A few days ago they posted that they have started shipping. Might have mine this month.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Nice!!
Rule# 6: Free your mind and your legs will follow.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 pm
Location: St. Clair Shores
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 708 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby NGiordano » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Snappy wrote:
Bellringer wrote:
Snappy wrote:
NGiordano wrote:Interested in your thoughts once it comes. I'm less and less confident in their ability to deliver, and more importantly continue to offer support and software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Yeah, I'll post up once I had a chance to play with it. I guess the good thing is it's android based, there's the potential for others to pick-up if they fail. Hopefully they will have Google App store integration.

I placed my order for a Karoo on Aug. 15 so according to Hammerhead I should receive it by Feb at this point. Hoping for a nice Christmas present to myself.
A few days ago they posted that they have started shipping. Might have mine this month.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


Any movement on Karoos? I'm about to ask for a refund.
NGiordano
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:38 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Snappy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:02 pm

NGiordano wrote:
Snappy wrote:
Bellringer wrote:
Snappy wrote:
NGiordano wrote:Interested in your thoughts once it comes. I'm less and less confident in their ability to deliver, and more importantly continue to offer support and software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Yeah, I'll post up once I had a chance to play with it. I guess the good thing is it's android based, there's the potential for others to pick-up if they fail. Hopefully they will have Google App store integration.

I placed my order for a Karoo on Aug. 15 so according to Hammerhead I should receive it by Feb at this point. Hoping for a nice Christmas present to myself.
A few days ago they posted that they have started shipping. Might have mine this month.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk


Any movement on Karoos? I'm about to ask for a refund.
Yeah, i have had mine for about 3 weeks or so. Sorry I didn't post anything yet. It's been a little disappointing for me so far. Have had issues with the unit rebooting or just the ride app crashing and loses the ride. I have had speed sensor issues too. Speed was registering much lower than actual speed. My power meter seems to be working.

There was an update pushed out today that is supposed to resolve some of the issues. Overall it's a nice unit. It is big but feels like it is built well.

Bellringer received his too and hasn't had the reboot issue yet. If you already paid for it you might as well wait for it. They seem to be actively resolving issues and adding new features. Updated my unit 4 times already. I have opened a support ticket and they have been responsive.

I'm going to use my unit Sunday for sure so I'll update on the issue resolutions. I am hoping for the best.


Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Safety Before Strava!
GREYHOUNDS! GREYHOUNDS!
User avatar
Snappy
Sport
Sport
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 am
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 441 times

Next

Return to Public: Product Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest