Wahoo Element Bolt

Moderators: Top Commander, Team Captains

Re: Wahoo Element Bolt

Postby Professor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am

I received my Karoo on Saturday. It is ummm.... rather large. Reminds me of my first cell phone.

Any thoughts on if it's worth getting a sim card for it? I just don't see the need for data while I am out riding, unless it is required to have accurate updated maps? any thoughts?

I may also be having buyers remorse after seeing the sheer size of this thing. I might sell it and go back to Garmin.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Rule #70 // The purpose of competing is to win.
Professor
Sport
Sport

Postby Longey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 am

I have been pondering a new ride computer.

Can anybody comment on the Elemnt, Garmin or Karoo's ability to update and adjust routes on the fly? I have read that if you have a route that you are following on the Elemnt, you can't modify as you ride, you know if you wanna ride a different road for some reason the Elemnt won't adjust?

I was impressed with the Karoo when I saw it but missed the $299 buy, it is kinda big but I'm not sure I'm worried about that for turing and weekend jaunts, I'll keep my 510 to use for "racing" as it has been a reliable unit for the last several years, if you want to sell the Karoo I would be interested?
One day your life will flash before your eyes, MAKE SURE it's worth watching!
Longey
Sport
Sport

Postby KBlankenship » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm

i have a garmin edge 820... it has built-in street level maps (not loaded on an sd card like my previous garmins) and it works really well with the routes that i make on ridewithgps.com. if i deviate from the route, it asks me if i want to recalculate and it gets me back on my original route. i can also tell it to get me back to where i started.

that said... i don't think the battery is everything it was on my 800 and 810. but, it is much smaller, so that makes sense. if i could go back and do it again, i'd consider the 1030 for the extra battery life.

i've never used a wahoo or a karoo, but i see one in my future. usability-wise, they have some catching up to do (and yes, garmin can learn from them too), but it shouldn't be hard or take too long. so maybe when my 820 dies? anyway, i also read that the wahoo can't update the route on the fly... that's the one thing that would keep me from giving it a try.

-- kent.
KBlankenship
Sport
Sport

Postby Wiz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 pm

I’ve been impressed with the Bolt so far. Had one issue with it mixing up data from my ETap and power meter, but otherwise it’s been great.
Battery life has been amazing and the phone app has been the seller for me.
The routing is just what you program. It has no re-calculate function (yet). With the routes, save and link something in Strava and you have it. Want turn by turn, use Kamoot or MapMyRide and link them. Not as nice and clean as Garmin, but they started as a mapping/gps company, not a bike computer. I fully expect this function to be coming to Wahoo.
"Not bad for a wannabe MTB Captain CX'er" - #MotherFuckingJim
Wiz
Sandbagger
Sandbagger

Postby Professor » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Longey wrote:I have been pondering a new ride computer.

Can anybody comment on the Elemnt, Garmin or Karoo's ability to update and adjust routes on the fly? I have read that if you have a route that you are following on the Elemnt, you can't modify as you ride, you know if you wanna ride a different road for some reason the Elemnt won't adjust?

I was impressed with the Karoo when I saw it but missed the $299 buy, it is kinda big but I'm not sure I'm worried about that for turing and weekend jaunts, I'll keep my 510 to use for "racing" as it has been a reliable unit for the last several years, if you want to sell the Karoo I would be interested?

It is my understanding that the Karoo can adjust for alternate routes, but I haven't even tried it yet. I still have my 510, but for the RGTPS TT, it showed that it took me 40 minutes to cross the street.

I am wondering if the purpose of the sim card is to update the maps on the fly...
Professor
Sport
Sport

Postby irishpitbull » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:34 pm

If you want turn by turn and route recalculation get the full on Element. The Bolt is more of the scaled down version.
"Whatever it takes."
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert

Postby Bellringer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Professor wrote:I received my Karoo on Saturday. It is ummm.... rather large. Reminds me of my first cell phone.

Any thoughts on if it's worth getting a sim card for it? I just don't see the need for data while I am out riding, unless it is required to have accurate updated maps? any thoughts?

I may also be having buyers remorse after seeing the sheer size of this thing. I might sell it and go back to Garmin.

So I've had my Karoo for a while now and I can say so far that I'm quite happy with it. There are some (Snappy) that drew the short straw. I don't know what it is maybe the one he got was assembled on a Monday morning but it seems they either work great or a total bust. It will be interesting to see how the customer support is on it. Snappy can keep us updated on that front. Anyway you're right it is big but not so much that it is like throwing the bikes center of gravity off and it is easy to read.

Professor the sim card so far hasn't been a draw back and I can always use my phones hot spot if needed. Under settings if you go to Offline map section you can download an areas map when you have a WiFi connection. I did this for Kentucky, Livonia area and Ann Arbor area. Then when you have a route in that area you make it available offline. So, so far no sim card needed.
Rule# 6: Free your mind and your legs will follow.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert

Postby Bellringer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Longey wrote:I have been pondering a new ride computer.

Longey if you are riding a route but decide to go off route a little, on purpose or not, the Karoo will automatically reroute to get you back on the original route. You can also stop and modify the original route on the fly but I haven't done that yet.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert

Postby Bellringer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm

KBlankenship wrote:i have a garmin edge 820... it has built-in street level maps (not loaded on an sd card like my previous garmins) and it works really well with the routes that i make on ridewithgps.com. if i deviate from the route, it asks me if i want to recalculate and it gets me back on my original route. i can also tell it to get me back to where i started.

that said... i don't think the battery is everything it was on my 800 and 810. but, it is much smaller, so that makes sense. if i could go back and do it again, i'd consider the 1030 for the extra battery life.

i've never used a wahoo or a karoo, but i see one in my future. usability-wise, they have some catching up to do (and yes, garmin can learn from them too), but it shouldn't be hard or take too long. so maybe when my 820 dies? anyway, i also read that the wahoo can't update the route on the fly... that's the one thing that would keep me from giving it a try.

-- kent.

Kent so far I've been really really impressed with the battery life on the Karoo. Of course givin the size I would be very disappointed if the battery didn't last long.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert

Postby Bellringer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Wiz wrote:I’ve been impressed with the Bolt so far. Had one issue with it mixing up data from my ETap and power meter, but otherwise it’s been great.
Battery life has been amazing and the phone app has been the seller for me.
The routing is just what you program. It has no re-calculate function (yet). With the routes, save and link something in Strava and you have it. Want turn by turn, use Kamoot or MapMyRide and link them. Not as nice and clean as Garmin, but they started as a mapping/gps company, not a bike computer. I fully expect this function to be coming to Wahoo.

Paring of all my bike sensors was smooth and easy, much better than Garmin ever was. I have a Rotor PM, A Stages PM and Tacx Neo Smart trainer and pairing was easy and so far they all appear to be reading accuratly. The only item I've had trouble with as far as sensors go is with the Garmin wheel speed/distance sensor. It pairs ok but the reading on my Karoo is WAY off. I sent Hammerhead a note about this but what's happening is the decimal point is in the wrong spot. If I'm riding at 15.00 mph it reads
150.0 mph or 23.00 mph would be 230.0 mph. No word on a fix yet but in the mean time I just use the GPS speed and distance and that has worked just fine.

Dropping in routes from Strava. MTB project, Ride with GPS and even Garmin Connect is easy you can either copy and paste the URL into the dashboard or a GPX file as well.
At this time you cannot download a workout from Training Peaks into the Karoo but it's in the works. What you can do though is once you complete your ride/workout and save it you can automagically upload to Strava and or Garmin Connect which will send over to TP. Or go onto the dashboard and upload the ride/workout to TP.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert

Postby Professor » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies, Bellringer. I am feeling a little less remorseful.

Have you had to use your phone as a hotspot? I am not sure what the purpose of the SIM card is yet, unless you're in a big hurry to upload your data to Strava?

My only complaint I have thus far, besides the enormous form factor, is I don't see a way to have separate profiles for each weapon. It just seems like I need to punch in a wheel circumference for each bike. Also, miss Garmin's auto calibration for wheel circumference.

I imagine those features will be in a future release.
Professor
Sport
Sport

Postby Bellringer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Listen I'm not saying the Karoo is the greatest bike computer since sliced bread but I got so damded pissed off with Garmin I was willing to try anything. The Wahoo Element seemed like a really good possibility but thought I'd take a gamble. They still have a ways to go as far as updates go and working more of the kinks out so if you wait I wouldn't blame you. I do have a feeling that in a year or two Garmin is going to feel some much needed pressure to up their game if they want to stay at the top of the pile.
Gnome Sane
Bellringer
Expert
Expert

Postby Bellringer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Professor wrote:Thanks for all the replies, Bellringer. I am feeling a little less remorseful.

Have you had to use your phone as a hotspot? I am not sure what the purpose of the SIM card is yet, unless you're in a big hurry to upload your data to Strava?

My only complaint I have thus far, besides the enormous form factor, is I don't see a way to have separate profiles for each weapon. It just seems like I need to punch in a wheel circumference for each bike. Also, miss Garmin's auto calibration for wheel circumference.

I used my phones hot spot one time with no problems, otherwise I just wait till I get somewhere that I know the WiFi (like home or c2f) and upload then. The sim card makes it operate more like google maps does on your phone is what I understand and it may get you text messages and/or phone messages. I'm not really sure of that last part and don't care because I want to disconnect at those time anyway.

Seperate profiles wwas tricky for me for about a day then I realized that you make a new page for each bike. I can show you this Saturday at BR if you are there. Just leave the wheel calibration alone so far it is a moot point, unsure why it there except for future needs don't know. Again the GPS speed and distance are working great even in the woods.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert

Postby Professor » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Bellringer wrote:
Professor wrote:Thanks for all the replies, Bellringer. I am feeling a little less remorseful.

I used my phones hot spot one time with no problems, otherwise I just wait till I get somewhere that I know the WiFi (like home or c2f) and upload then. The sim card makes it operate more like google maps does on your phone is what I understand and it may get you text messages and/or phone messages. I'm not really sure of that last part and don't care because I want to disconnect at those time anyway.

Seperate profiles wwas tricky for me for about a day then I realized that you make a new page for each bike. I can show you this Saturday at BR if you are there. Just leave the wheel calibration alone so far it is a moot point, unsure why it there except for future needs don't know. Again the GPS speed and distance are working great even in the woods.

Thanks. I'll see you Saturday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Professor
Sport
Sport

Previous

Return to Public: Product Reviews