New Schwalbe Racing Ray/Ralph

Moderators: Top Commander, Team Captains

New Schwalbe Racing Ray/Ralph

Postby Stevey D » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 am

This new tire combo is legit!! This might be one of the best tire combo's I've ever used. I've only had them on for a week and already PR'd Maybury and Bald Mtn+Addison Oaks loop. The Racing Ray is meant to be a front specific tire. Schwalbe claims the design is meant to help improve steering precision. I have to agree with them. I've been very surprised with how easily I can pick a line that I really had to be focused to hit before. They also transition from one corner to the next very quickly. As an added bonus, they seem to just track straight through deep sand like it's not even there. This is gonna be key for the opening miles of Iceman. The all new Ralph is designed as a rear specific compliment to the Ray. The center tread is sort of paddle shaped. Again, I'm impressed at how they just hook up and go. Even with a brand new old school Ralph on, I still get some tire spin on certain loose climbs. Not so with the new Ralph. Put the power down and you can feel it just accelerate immediately. The old Rocket Ron/Racing Raplh combo has long been a favorite around these parts for good reason and I think this new Ray/Raplh combo is the next level!
Stevey D
Sport
Sport

Re: New Schwalbe Racing Ray/Ralph

Postby NGiordano » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Stevey D wrote:This new tire combo is legit!! This might be one of the best tire combo's I've ever used. I've only had them on for a week and already PR'd Maybury and Bald Mtn+Addison Oaks loop. The Racing Ray is meant to be a front specific tire. Schwalbe claims the design is meant to help improve steering precision. I have to agree with them. I've been very surprised with how easily I can pick a line that I really had to be focused to hit before. They also transition from one corner to the next very quickly. As an added bonus, they seem to just track straight through deep sand like it's not even there. This is gonna be key for the opening miles of Iceman. The all new Ralph is designed as a rear specific compliment to the Ray. The center tread is sort of paddle shaped. Again, I'm impressed at how they just hook up and go. Even with a brand new old school Ralph on, I still get some tire spin on certain loose climbs. Not so with the new Ralph. Put the power down and you can feel it just accelerate immediately. The old Rocket Ron/Racing Raplh combo has long been a favorite around these parts for good reason and I think this new Ray/Raplh combo is the next level!

Thanks for the review! I have some Ikons that have been just OK. Looking to give the new Schwalbe combo a try.
NGiordano
Sport
Sport

Postby irishpitbull » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 am

Waiting for the non-snakeskin
"Whatever it takes."
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert

Postby The Vegan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Stevey D wrote:... This is gonna be key for the opening miles of Iceman. !

Now if only they made something to fix the dolts who fall in front of you.
Tony | Ti Quiring 1x7+AbsoluteBlack
In the "off-season" since 1973
The Vegan
Expert
Expert

Postby irishpitbull » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:36 pm

It's pretty good.

The Ray was very confidence inspiring. I liked it as much or more than the Ron light skin.
The new Ralph hooks up nicely on loose climbs that the old Ralph would spin on.

I want to get a few more rides on them. But so far so good.
"Whatever it takes."
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert

Postby Bellringer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:06 pm

irishpitbull wrote:Waiting for the non-snakeskin

Why the non-snakeskin? Just going for lighter weight or is there another reason?
Rule# 6: Free your mind and your legs will follow.
Bellringer
Expert
Expert

Postby irishpitbull » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Bellringer wrote:
irishpitbull wrote:Waiting for the non-snakeskin

Why the non-snakeskin? Just going for lighter weight or is there another reason?

Well I was gonna wait but a flat at PLRA got me into a set this weekend. I like them but I'm not sure that are faster than the Ron/Ralph combo I have been running. My effort was high today at but my times were slow.
"Whatever it takes."
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert

Postby krazzy karl » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:52 am

Had my first ride on the new Racing Ray and Ralph. My only test ride has been Maybury Miles so far and they do hook up as Stevie D said. So much awesome grip that even on the road Wiz was getting face sprayed with debris being kicked up from the rear tire. They grip, they corner, they handle sand very well. Point and shoot.

But do I believe these newly design tires could make that much of a difference to PR a ride? Hell no. They helped but it was because I was holding on to Pitbulls wheel and not letting go.
krazzy karl
Expert
Expert

Postby Stevey D » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 am

Pitbull, what pressures did you say you were running at? Need to play around a bit with mine before Sunday.
Stevey D
Sport
Sport

Postby irishpitbull » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 am

Stevey D wrote:Pitbull, what pressures did you say you were running at? Need to play around a bit with mine before Sunday.

17/20 last night. Felt pretty good, little soft on the road but I don't think I broke loose once on the trail.

I had 16/18 on the way to the shop and that was too soft in back.
"Whatever it takes."
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert

Postby irishpitbull » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Ripped the sidewall on my Ralph this weekend.
"Whatever it takes."
irishpitbull
Expert
Expert

Return to Public: Product Reviews